Thursday, July 14, 2016

ENGLAND

EXT. ASYLUM - NIGHT

A prison type doorway with the words ENGLAND ASYLUM above it.

INT. ASYLUM - NIGHT

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sit playing cards and drinking and laughing. The camera moves around the corner as their laughing can still be heard until it comes upon a tiny room.

INT. ASYLUM - NIGHT

Hamlet, clearly bruised and beaten, sits nude on the floor of a tiny padded cell. As he speaks in V.O., images play through his mind. His father's murder, his mother fucking CLAUDIUS, him hurting Ophelia, Polonius, his argument with his mother, tender scenes with his mother and then with Ophelia. All of these images flash through his head as we hear voiceover.

HAMLET (V.O.)
How all occasions do inform against me And spur my dull revenge! What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more. Now, whether it be bestial oblivion, or some craven scruple Of thinking too precisely on th' event,- I do not know why yet I live to say 'This thing's to do,' Sith I have cause, and will, and strength, and means To do't. Examples gross as earth exhort me. How stand I then, That have a father kill'd, a mother stain'd, excitements of my reason and my blood, And let all sleep, while to my shame I see The imminent death of thousands of men That for a fantasy and trick of fame Go to their graves like beds. O, from this time forth, My thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!


As Hamlet sits in the asylum, he hears echoing footsteps walking down a hallway. Keys are put in the lock. Hamlet does not move. He is afraid of who might be there. The door opens slightly and light pours in. Then the footsteps are heard running away. Hamlet slowly goes to check the door and looks out.

He finds the dead bodies of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

No comments:

Post a Comment